Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Medal and Bib Display

Ok, so I may be getting ahead of myself here but I decided to create a medal and bib display for all my bling and whatnot.

I saw a few different things online that I liked but nothing I was willing to pay $50 for. So I stole some tools from my dad and spent a few hours on a Saturday putting it all together.



I got a 12in x 24in piece of wood at Lowes along with a bunch of 1 inch shoulder hooks. If you do it yourself you may want to go with ones that are a little bit shorter because they might be a little cheaper. The 1 inch hooks were over a dollar a piece which gets a little bit pricey.

I spent about an hour or so measuring out everything to make sure I drilled in the right place and everything would fit.

Then I sanded it, drilled the holes and painted it. And put back the tools.



So far as the letters go, I tried a few different things.  The plan was to print it onto t-shirt transfer paper and transfer it onto the wood which didn't work because I'm an idiot and didn't peel off the back first. I think the fact that the wood was painted had something to do with it as well. But mostly I'm kind of an idiot. I also had some letters already cut that I could have used but they were a bit too big. So my only other option was to cut out around the letters which I hadn't wanted to do originally because I thought it would look too messy. And it does a little bit but I actually like it a lot. 

As you can see, there are 17 hooks for medals, a place to hang my race bibs and a foam thing at the top. I pretty much completely copied stuff I saw online except for that foam thing. I bought the Royal Family 5k pin and didn't know what to do with it so here's my solution: I cut a piece of black foam about 2 inches wide and glued it to the top. I also had a 2014 pin that I decided to add to keep Cinderella company.



And then I put mod podge EVERYWHERE! Not really, just the wood parts.

Then I hung it on the wall which was way more complicated that it should have been for someone with a college degree. It is a little bit heavy so I may have to add another hook on the back to distribute the weight a little better so it doesn't rip the wall out. But I think it looks pretty cool!


See my lonely little medal? It will have a buddy come Saturday! The Gate River Run is rapidly approaching and I am pretty psyched. More on that later though.

How do you display your race medals (or other achievements)?

No comments:

Post a Comment