Wednesday, May 14, 2014

And The Rain, Rain, Rain Came Down, Down, Down...

As you all know probably know by now (because I won't stop talking about it), I went to Orlando last weekend to participate in the Expedition Everest Challenge and I had a blast (read my full recap here)!

And spent way too much money. Way, way, way, way, way, way, way, wayyyyyy too much money. But what else is new, right?

After I went to the expo on Friday, I headed over to Epcot to do a little shopping. Pattserella’s parent’s 30th wedding anniversary was coming up and she wanted to get them a present. For their 20th she got them a Cinderella and Prince Charming figurine so she wanted to stick with the Disney theme. 

Coach Bob and Mama G's 20th Anniversary Figurine
Since I was headed down anyway, I offered to pick something up for her. So the decision came down to these three items. 

Mickey and Minnie Bride and Groom

Beauty and the Beast

Bobble Head Mickey and Minnie

It was the showdown of all showdowns! No one was safe! But she picked the last one cause they kiss and they’re bobble heads.

But while Pattserella was deciding, I decided to head into the World Showcase, just to wander.

That’s a lie. I wanted to get the cinnamon glazed almonds that I found at Magic Kingdom and I heard a rumor that they lurked in Epcot as well. One slight problem though: rainy days are back again in Florida. And I left my umbrella in my car. I sucked it up for a while. For a long time it wasn’t really raining enough to even justify using an umbrella. But then I came to Morocco. And I genuinely needed some cover from the rain. So I bought a plastic monstrosity, also known as: a poncho.

Now, the last time I wore a poncho was about 40 years ago. I know that’s not actually possible since I’m only 24 but whatever. I have a gift for hyperbole. Seriously though, the last time I wore a poncho must have been when we went to Disney when I was about 3 or 4, a trip that I do not remember at all except that it rained and the water got in my shoes and made my socks wet and then my feet got all wrinkly and they hurt. It was magical, I’m sure.

But, since I hadn’t used a poncho in 40 years I had forgotten how a poncho worked. Why doesn’t it have arm holes? I don’t understand! But I put that college degree to work and figured it out (It has clasps on the side. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure it out).

I continued to walk through the World Showcase occasionally stopping under an overhang to see if Pattserella had made a decision. Once she had decided on the bobble heads, I headed back to the store and picked them up along with an Ariel mug and a Sleeping Beauty ornament and by the time I left it was POURING! So much! I would have enjoyed it if my phone had been in a Ziploc bag where it couldn’t get wet. But it wasn’t, so I worried about my dear little phone. By the time I made it to the exit, my pants were soaked all the way though. I had to change in the car. Very uncomfortable. And really awkward if anyone had happened to walk by.

And the worst part? I didn’t even get the almonds! I was heartbroken. Forlorn, even. 

But luck was on my side two days later! On Sunday, Lackey and I went to Downtown Disney to get some ice cream from Ghirardelli (we deserved it!) and we passed by a nut stand! And it didn’t just have almonds, it also had pecans and cashews. I didn’t get the cashews (which I kind of regret now) but I did get the pecans and they were pretty delicious. Next time I will buy up that cart!


Moral of the story? Fate (and Downtown Disney) is a wonderful thing!

When was the last time you used a poncho? Was it actually 40 years ago?

Happy Haunted 5k – 143days | Wine and Dine Half Marathon – 178 days | Avengers Half Marathon – 186 days | Walt Disney World Half Marathon – 241 days | Disney Princess Half Marathon – 284 days

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love your comment about your gift for hyperbole...reminds me of a scene from Modern Family (no idea if you watch that show so I won't continue on with this rant lol)!

    I haven't brought a poncho to Disney in a loooong time. I usually just wait it out underneath some shelter. However, last year when my husband and I were there for the Food & Wine festival, it started raining and I wasn't too happy. I wanted to eat more food LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I actually resorted to eating a crepe under an overhang but I couldn't keep that up forever!

      Delete